Re: Tech Discussions on the Multitrack Media (issue-152)

From: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 11:38:15 +1100
To: Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>
Cc: Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 3:40 AM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:

> I have another question related to an earlier discussion on this thread: do I understand correctly that in order to apply CSS styling there needs to be an HTML markup element to apply the styling to ? i.e. that you couldn't apply styling to control the rendering of an in-band track that appears only as a MediaTrack object and not as a <track> element (with associated HTMLTrackElement object) ?
>
> In that case it seems we need to be able to refer to an in-band track in the main resource from a <track> element in order to apply styling. For example the MediaTrack API could expose an "id" attribute (at least for in-band tracks) which could be used to refer to this track from a <track> element.

I didn't want to let this one go unnoticed. In the current spec for
<track> we address the cues inside the <track> - independent of
whether they come from in-band or from an external file - through a
::cue CSS pseudo-selector.

Maybe something like this can be introduced for the tracks, too? This
could then avoid having a HTML markup element for tracks and allow us
to style them similar to how we style cues. Can this work:
::track(number) where number is the position in the IDL tracks list in
the HTMLMediaElement? Some kind of default rendering would need to be
described, too.

Cheers,
Silvia.