Re: Should script execution be allowed in designMode documents?

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 10:38 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> Forwarding this along for one of my coworkers who can't figure out how to
> actually get on this list:
>
> Firefox has historically disabled script execution when a document is
> put into design mode by setting the designMode property on the
> document object to "on".  This has been done a long time ago to be
> compatible with IE.  But it has consistently surprised web developers.
>  Moreover, script execution has never been prevented in Firefox for
> contentEditable sections, which means that the result of putting a
> document in design mode and setting the contentEditable attribute on
> the body element will not be the same, which goes against the HTML5
> spec.

Personally, I think the restriction makes no sense at all.  Is there
any reason in favor of the status quo other than possibly compat
(which can't be a huge deal if Chrome hasn't seen issues)?  I can't
fathom why it was ever this way to begin with.