Re: hit testing and retained graphics

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 11:40:13 +1200
To: Matt May <mattmay@adobe.com>
Cc: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>, Cynthia Shelly <cyns@microsoft.com>, david.bolter@gmail.com, Frank.olivier@microsoft.com, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Mike@w3.org, public-canvas-api@w3.org, public-html@w3.org, public-html-a11y@w3.org

Hi Matt.

Silvia Pfeiffer:
> > What about Adobe Flash in this area? Adobe Flash is used for many
> > of the same use cases that canvas is used for. Is Flash more
> > accessible? How do they do it? Is Flash prohibited because it's not
> > accessible?

Matt May:
> Any shape drawn the a Flash stage (or canvas) can be named, and any
> named display object can have an AccessibilityProperties object
> associated with it that allows it to be tagged with an accessible
> name and description, and other properties including grouping of
> child objects (forceSimple), keyboard shortcut, and the ability to
> hide it from the DOM. Reading order is handled either explicitly or
> algorithmically based on x,y coordinates.
>
> Further, any display object or sprite can have an
> AccessibilityImplementation object which allows MSAA (soon
> IAccessible2) roles and states to be applied and managed, and marshals
> events through the accessibility API. Using the Flex SDK, application
> developers can build sprites from any kind of graphics they choose,
> and wire them up to appear to assistive technology in the same manner
> as one would expect of an OS-level control.

I am not familiar with Flash programming.  When you talk about shapes
being drawn on the Flash stage (or canvas), is that a retained mode or
immediate mode API?  If it’s an immediate mode API, would you be able to
compare it to the proposal being made here?

--
Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/