Re: modal dialogs/overlays/lighboxes

hi ted,

here are some more 'real world' examples

press the  check status or apply now buttons
http://store.apple.com/us/instant_credit?mco=MTY4Njc5MDI

press the 'View iPad Engraving Gallery' or 'View iPod Engraving Gallery'
links
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/ipod/editorial/engraving_giftwrap?mco=MTM3NjM2MDQ

press the 'view the app gallery' link
http://store.apple.com/us?mco=Nzc1MjMwNA

anyone with a twitter account press 'reply' to a tweet link or the 'retweet'
link
http://twitter.com/

Even though the amny of previous links I provided were to demos of
components form javscript libraries or standalone widgets, I suggest they
should not be dismissed as the mechanisms they use to provide the features
are representative of the way developers produce such features. And the
dialog type components are used out of the box by web application
developers.

I would also suggest looking at why the currently defined
window.showmodaldialog()
http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/timers.html#dom-showmodaldialog
is not used by developers instead of the fake dialogs.

regards
stevef