Re: ISSUE-30 longdesc - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals

Matthew Turvey, Fri, 17 Jun 2011 12:31:36 +0100:
> On 16 June 2011 18:21, Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com> wrote:

> Cliff also thought the longdesc attribute contained the image
> description text not the link to the image description until quite
> recently. This was despite longdesc being specified in the much
> shorter HTML4 specification for 13 years.

I could not find the link to Cliff's message in the CP anymore - I
don't know if Laura removed it due to the critisism it met from at
least one ARIA supporter. However, if you reads the message that the CP
used to reference, then there can be zero doubt that he perceives
@longdesc as a link: [1]

]]
- Use longdesc to link to a description of the image, even if the image
is to convey no meaning. When the user requests, the user agent --
including browsers -- should open this description without leaving the
current position in the document. Closing the description should return
the user to the same location.

So we would have instances like these:

alt="stop" longdesc="[link to 'red octagon']"

alt="" longdesc="[link to description of a calming pastoral scene]"

alt="earnings have doubled from first quarter (Q1) to third quarter
(Q3)" longdesc="[link to description of the graph followed by an
explanation of why Q1 is being compared to Q3 and not to Q1 of the
previous fiscal year]"
[[

[1] http://webaim.org/discussion/mail_message?id=16090

--