Re: ISSUE-30 longdesc - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals

From: James Graham <jgraham@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 16:11:19 +0200
To: public-html@w3.org
On 06/15/2011 03:54 PM, Janina Sajka wrote:
> Matthew Turvey writes:
>> longdesc is not implemented in Orca or VoiceOver so is currently
>

> Stop right there. Repeating untruths does not make them true.
 >
 > aobviously, you haven't looked at:
 >
 > html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/InstateLongdesc

Sorry, could you be more clear about what exactly you mean here? I
guessed that you might mean [1], but that doesn't seem to mention
VoiceOver or Orca at all.

A little internet searching suggests that longdesc might well not be
supported in Orca [2], VoiceOver [3] or, indeed, NVDA [4], so I am
confused as to what the "untruths" you refer to are. Has the level of
support in those UAs changed recently?

[1]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/InstateLongdesc/Implementation
[2] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/orca-list/2010-October/msg00217.html