Re: Normative status of author-only view of the HTML5 specification

Hi Jirka,
I agree that to anyone not involved it must be confusing,

What is the upside to having so many differing documents claiming to define
HTML or HTML5?

btw

there is also:
web applications 1.0 that defines HTML
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/complete/

While it explicitly states in answer to the question "Is this HTML5?"

"No, although it does contain everything that is part of HTML5. If you want
only HTML5, please see the HTML specification <http://www.whatwg.org/html>."

The link points the reader not to the HTML5 specification but to the WHATWG
HTML document.

regards
Stevef

On 8 June 2011 08:45, Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz> wrote:

> On 8.6.2011 9:24, Steve Faulkner wrote:
>
> > which is neither a subset or superset of the W3C HTML5 specification
>
> Actually it is very unfortunate and confusing for people outside from
> the spec developmnet process that HTML5 spec is published as two not
> completely identical documents both by W3C and WHATWG.
>
> I think that it would be better to shutdown WHATWG version (ie. make
> "living stabdard" dead ;-) and have only one version for reference at
> W3C. Once this is done we can talk about how to disambiguate possible
> differences between "author" and "implementer" views of spec. But that's
> on another level.
>
> Maybe W3C people who make deal with WHATWG or those W3C members who are
> also WHATWG members could explain to rest of us why spec is published on
> two places, with slightly different content and why this is the best
> status quo.
>
>                                Jirka
>
> --
>   Jirka Kosek      e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz      http://xmlguru.cz
>       Professional XML consulting and training services
>  DocBook customization, custom XSLT/XSL-FO document processing
>  OASIS DocBook TC member, W3C Invited Expert, ISO JTC1/SC34 member

with regards

Steve Faulkner
Technical Director - TPG

www.twitter.com/stevefaulkner