Re: Normative status of author-only view of the HTML5 specification

On Jun 7, 2011, at 2:25 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> *sigh*
>
> The answer is that it is desirable for both documents to be authoritative or for *only* the author view to be authoritative.  This has already been discussed.  This was a constraint that the TAG placed on continuance of the browser-centric spec.  If you want to object to the full HTML5 spec being authoritative, feel free to do so.

Correction, this was not a constraint, but a request from the TAG, which at least at the time the HTML WG chose to grant. As far as I know, the TAG has no authority to override the decisions of Working Groups and therefore cannot impose a "constraint".

Note to Jonas: even if the document is initially published as normative, in my opinion at least it would be valid to file a bug to make it informative or even to put it on Note track instead of REC track since the original CfC was a little vague about the implications.

Regards,
Maciej