Re: ISSUE-30 longdesc - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 08:21:32 -0700
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Cc: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, HTML WG LIST <public-html@w3.org>
On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am told that right now browsers turn the html snippet that
> aria-describedby points to into plain text before giving it to
> accessibiltiy APIs and thus screen readers cannot e.g. change their
> accent to a different content language, or point out that there's a
> url to another resource.
>
> Thus, I suggest your change proposal should also include that browsers
> need to expose the markup of the html snippet(s) that aria-describedby
> points to to accessibility APIs.

That conflicts with the information I'm getting from the Firefox
accessibility team. At least for non-hidden content Firefox should be
fully exposed including all its html semantics to AT users.

In any case, ARIA is already requiring what you're asking for. This is
why I was suggesting that the HTML spec simply points this fact out
while referring to the ARIA spec.

/ Jonas