Re: Adaptive images

Leif Halvard Silli, Wed, 1 Jun 2011 14:43:00 +0200:
> Tab Atkins Jr., Wed, 1 Jun 2011 12:44:42 +0900:
>> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 11:08 AM, Maciej Stachowiak
>>> On May 31, 2011, at 6:43 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

>>> 1) The src image will still be loaded even if CSS substitutes a
>>> different image with the content property, resulting in a double
>>> load. [ snip ]

>> 1 is a harder problem because of layering, and I dunno what to do about
that.

> #1 can be considered a use case where "graceful up-gradation" (a.k.a.
> 'augmentative authoring')  should be applied. Using the CSS generated
> content would be precisely that kind of authoring technique. The double
> load problems can be minimized by:
>  * EITHER simply omitting the @src attribute completely, leaving the
> choice of image resource to CSS ... (this is currenlty considered
> invalid, but should eliminate the double load completely)  [ snip ]

Btw, for the OBJECT element, it is valid to drop the @data attribute,
as long as there is a @type attribute.

The fourth image of this test works in IE8, Firefox4, Webkit and Opera:
http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/saved/1017

A problem arises when it comes to for instance letting the user
download the image - users do not get access to download the generated
image.
--
Leif Halvard Silli