document.readyState following navigation

From: Hallvord R. M. Steen <hallvord@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 01:27:15 +0900
To: "public-html list" <public-html@w3.org>
Hello,
having just investigated a problem with uploading attachments on
T-Online.de's webmail, it boils down to an issue that might have some
relevance for HTML5's definition of the readyState property / document
readiness calculation (
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/dom.html#current-document-readiness
). What happens in IE is that when a window is being navigated away from
the current document, that document's readyState changes from 'complete'
to 'loading'. (It would have made more sense in this case to have
'readyState' as a property on the window, but that's a sin of designers
past..).

HTML5 has not noticed this, it seems (or chosen to ignore it?), so the
spec as-written seems to asssume that readyState won't ever switch from
complete back to loading. The site sniffs for WebKit-based browsers and
Firefox, because they don't emulate IE on this point.

I'm throwing this out as a discussion topic, now that we've realised IE
does some extra stuff and found an important site depending on it. I think
switching back to 'loading' when some load is pending makes some sense.

--
Hallvord R. M. Steen, Core Tester, Opera Software
http://www.opera.com http://my.opera.com/hallvors/