Re: hit testing and retained graphics

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 14:32:45 +0100
To: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Sean Hayes <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com>, "E.J. Zufelt" <everett@zufelt.ca>, Paul Bakaus <pbakaus@zynga.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>, Cynthia Shelly <cyns@microsoft.com>, "david.bolter@gmail.com" <david.bolter@gmail.com>, Frank Olivier <Frank.Olivier@microsoft.com>, "Mike@w3.org" <Mike@w3.org>, "public-canvas-api@w3.org" <public-canvas-api@w3.org>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, "public-html-a11y@w3.org" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:
> just been looking at canvas based http://demo.ericomaccessnow.com/ (requires
> websockets enabled browser, works fine in chrome)
>
> In regards to use with screen magnifcation software, The above product does
> not provide information about current focus, so screen magnifiers cannot
> track focus, do you think there is a solution for that?

Would using a remote screen magnifier not work?

If not, why not?

How do people using screen magnification with native remote access
software today?

It looks like they either a) use remote magnification software:

http://www.aisquared.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=499

although it looks like there are technical problems with this that
need to be resolved by AT vendors/remote desktop access software:

http://www.aisquared.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1141

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2034004?start=0&tstart=0

or, b) they use local magnification software and do without tracking:

http://www.aisquared.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=944

I don't see why this needs to change when canvas is used for the
visuals rather than a native graphics API?

(Specifically, it sounds like less work to fix the technical problems
I mentioned above than to duplicate the whole work of the
accessibility stack in some sort of complex conversion from remote
platform APIs to DOM to local platform accessibility APIs to local
interface.)

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis