RE: hit testing and retained graphics

From: Blessing, Kimberly <Kimberly_Blessing@Comcast.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 14:23:34 +0000
To: Paul Bakaus <pbakaus@zynga.com>, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>, John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>
CC: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>, Cynthia Shelly <cyns@microsoft.com>, "david.bolter@gmail.com" <david.bolter@gmail.com>, Frank Olivier <Frank.Olivier@microsoft.com>, "Mike@w3.org" <Mike@w3.org>, "public-canvas-api@w3.org" <public-canvas-api@w3.org>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, "public-html-a11y@w3.org" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>

<snip>

> Finally, I want to end this little rant by reiterating that canvas is
> absolutely *not* used much in the wild.

I have heard similar comments from other developers and wanted to address the points Paul raised.

Canvas is targeted as the near-future development platform for set-top boxes -- which would impact a very large number of people. Consumer electronics manufacturers are buying in to HTML5 and my understanding is that canvas could be used to render not just the on-screen guides but even the video streams.

I'm not up-to-speed on the implications of canvas accessibility issues with set-top boxes, but I think we must err on the side of ensuring accessibility. Time has taught me that every technology will be used in ways we don't expect!

Best,
Kimberly