Re: rationale for inclusion of hgroup in html5?

Jirka Kosek, Mon, 24 Jan 2011 11:58:32 +0100:
> Steve Faulkner wrote:
>

> DocBook has title/subtitle for ages. If you have DocBook content like:
>
> <section>
>   <title>Foo</title>
>   <subtitle>Bar</subtitle>
>   ...content of section...
> </section>

Does DocBook say that <subtitle/> does not belong in the Table of
Content outline?

> it is usually transformed to HTML as:

>     <h2 class="title">Foo</h2>
>     <h3 class="subtitle">Bar</h3>
>   ... content of section ...

If there is something wrong with that transformation, then why isn't
that subtitle header transformed to, for example, <p class="subtitle">
rather than <h3 class="subtitle">?

I ask because Anne mentioned W3C TR's, like XML 1.0, which currently it
creates this outline:

Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.0
  W3C Recommendation ...
  Abstract
  Status
  TOC
    1. Appendices
      1.1 Intro
      1.2 Terminology
    2. Documents

I cannot say that it would have been a clear benefit if the "W3C
Recommendation ..." was concatenated with the top level heading/hidden
from outline. At least in my outline parser, the subheading is entirely
OK. It serves as a heading for the metadata section of the spec, were
the publication date etc is specified.
--
leif halvard silli