Re: An HTML5 logo

On 18 Jan 2011, at 10:29 AM, Jeremy Keith wrote:

> Ian wrote:
>> The Comm Team uses "Open Web Platform" for the general, unbounded
>> set of technologies.  But all signs point to HTML5 being the term
>> that the world has chosen for that purpose.
>
> It is precisely *because* third parties are using the term "HTML5"
> to refer to a multitude of technologies that the W3C needs to be the
> authoritative source for what is and isn't contained by a
> specification.

When precision is required, the specifications themselves provide the
answer.

> From your Recommendation of 2004, Architecture of the World Wide
> Web, Volume One, General Architecture Principles:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-webarch-20041215/#general
>
> "Orthogonal abstractions benefit from orthogonal specifications.
> Experience demonstrates that problems arise where orthogonal
> concepts occur in a single specification."

Agreed.

> This goes doubly for marketing and communication releases from the
> W3C. If this kind of water-muddying advice —http://www.w3.org/html/logo/faq.html#mean
>  — were being given by a company such as Apple, Google, Mozilla,
> Opera or Microsoft, that would be fine. Call me naive, but I expect
> accuracy from the W3C.
>
> Also, could you please clarify what "community support" was behind
> the injunction to apply the term HTML5 to CSS, WOFF, etc? I would
> have thought that this working group might have had some interest.

We have an SVG logo and very much want to create CSS and WOFF
identities (and others). I understand that we need that accuracy at
times, and also that a WG would be the first body to care about it.
Thank you for that feedback,

  _ Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/html/logo/faq#official