Re: rationale for inclusion of hgroup in html5?

On 2011-01-23 Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have been trying to hunt down some data on the rationale for
>hgroup's inclusion in HTML5 the only mention of rationale I can find
>so far is on the whatwg wiki [1]
>
>"The point of <hgroup> is to hide the subtitle from the outlining
>algorithm."
>
>there must be more than this right? anybody have pointers to anything, data
>maybe on current use of headings for subheadings, any data on use of class
>or id names to identify subheadings titles etc?

Discussion seems to have started in this thread:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Mar/0663.html

Ian announced the change (header/hgroup) here:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Apr/0285.html

First mention of hgroup I can find on the whatwg list (from
James Graham):

http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2009-April/019225.html

And I also agree that what James has suggested in bug 11731 is a
better arrangement. hgroup as currently spec'd is confusing IMO.

Regards,

-Steve

--
Steve Axthelm