Re: CfC: close ISSUE-125 charset-vs-quotes by amicable resolution

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 13:51:59 +0100
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
On 24.01.2011 13:35, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 13:25:02 +0100, Julian Reschke
> <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
>> On 24.01.2011 13:17, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>>> The HTTP syntax. It cuts both ways. If clients are not compatible with
>>> IE, the HTTP syntax is not compatible with them either. And as you
>>> indicated yourself it is not clear that IE is fully conforming to it
>>> anyway. (Please note that this and below are a side argument from the
>>> above. The above is about <meta> which does not need to adhere to the
>>> HTTP syntax.)
>>
>> I don't see how the syntax "breaks" any clients.
>
> If, as you say, changing the syntax breaks IE, then keeping the syntax
> breaks Opera/Chrome/Firefox/Safari.

The difference here is that those browsers *already* are broken. Instead
of claiming that they are ok and other implementations (not only IE,
btw) will need to change, the right thing to do is to fix these.

That being said it's quite obvious that this isn't going anywhere, so my
proposal is to focus on concrete change proposals that the WG then can
evaluate.

Best regards, Julian