Re: CfC: close ISSUE-125 charset-vs-quotes by amicable resolution

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 12:56:46 +0100
To: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>, "Sam Ruby" <rubys@intertwingly.net>
On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 15:51:43 +0100, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
> It's what the spec says, and why I raised the bug.

So if Ian changed the note -- as he indicates this actually has nothing to
do with HTTP so that would probably be the right thing to do here -- it
would be okay with you?

>> because double and single quotes can be used all over the Web Platform
>> interchangeably. Often though more lenient syntax is more compatible and
>> authors do not always test in IE. There are places where IE has
>> negligible market share.
> We can't change the HTTP syntax without breaking existing clients, such
> as IE but likely many others.

Currently the syntax breaks many clients as well. Probably including IE.

> Furthermore, if people not testing in IE is a problem, then the right
> solution is to converge on the (correct) behavior of IE.

That is not how many of our design choices have been made to date.

Anne van Kesteren