Re: Change proposal for HTML WG ISSUE-140: Conformance terminology when applicable specifications are used

From: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 19:10:32 +0000
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
CC: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>

On 1/18/2011 4:41 PM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> Since the HTML5 draft prohibits many previously conforming features -
> especially attributes, many of which user agents nevertheless support,
> it might be a point to also add that applicable specifications as well
> "MAY permit certain otherwise non-conforming content".

My impression is that applicable specifications can change, or provide
support for almost anything; the "MAY"s in my proposal were intended to be
suggestive of the scope, and not in any way limiting.  I have no problem
with cases like this being called out explicitly, or with the WG perhaps
rewording that whole bit.  The main point of my proposal is the terminology
relating to conformance.  Thank you.

Noah