Re: CfC: close ISSUE-126 charset-vs-backslashes by amicable resolution

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 15:37:36 +0100
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
CC: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
On 19.01.2011 05:06, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> Julian, your change proposal claims that this is not needed for
> interoperability. Do you have any data showing this other than the
> fact that webkit-based browsers and opera does not implement this?

No.

> Have you searched the open bug databases for webkit to see if there
> have been any bugs filed on this?

No.

> My experience is that just because webkit and opera doesn't implement
> a particular quirk doesn't mean it's not needed for web compatibility.

In which case we really need to define what "needed for web
compatibility" means.

The CP affects handling of character set names that contain either a
backslash or quite characters. No registered character set does contain
these. That's why I think this is an edge case, and there's no
requirement to claim that breaking the base spec is needed here.

Best regards, Julian