Re: An HTML5 logo

From: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 11:16:05 +0200
To: Jeremy Keith <jeremy@adactio.com>
Cc: public-html <public-html@w3.org>, Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 5:07 PM, Jeremy Keith <jeremy@adactio.com> wrote:
> What is the remit of the W3C Communications Team? (I couldn't find a URL). If it is to confuse and conflate separate technologies in the minds of web developers ...top job!

That ship has already sailed.  It's unlikely to cause a problem that
"HTML5" is both a particular standard and an official buzzword.
Context will almost always make it clear which you mean, in cases
where it matters, and if not you can specify.  In normative
specification text like references, it will always refer to the HTML5
standard, which will be made clear with a link, and that's all that
really has to be clear.

Language is ambiguous, that's life.  No need to get worked up about
terms having multiple meanings, or to try to change widespread usage
(which is futile).  We've got a good buzzword going, let's use it for
all it's worth.  It would have been nice if it were "Open Web" instead
of "HTML5", but no changing that now.