Re: hgroup: a possible alternative

James Graham, Mon, 10 Jan 2011 23:46:52 +0100 (CET):
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, Toby Inkster wrote:
> Why not <h1>Main Heading <subhead>Subheading</subhead></h1>
> <subhead> also has the benefit of simplifying the outline
> algorithm somewhat compared to <hgroup>.

Why not. Because the outline algorithm - as well as the authoring -
would become simplified if instead of marking up the text *not* to go
into the outline, one could mark up the text to *go* into the outline.
It might also be that one do not want to make into a subtitle
everything that is not to go into the outline. Also, the <subhead> idea
has the disadvantage that one could split upt the heading - and could
end up very funny in the outline:

	<h1> The <subhead> happy, </subhead>
		 sad <subhead> book </subhead> lover </h1>

Kornel has suggested, structurally, the following:

	<h1><outline>Main heading</outlin> Subtitle</h1>

which I think is more flexible than <subhead>. Given that it it would
be forbidden (I presume) with more than one <outline> element per
heading element, it would also be simple to select in CSS, even with
"dumb" selectros like h1 outline{}.

Btw, both <outline> and <subhead> could be used to create hgroup alike
constructs in which only one of the elements would go into the outline:

		<h1>Main</h1>
		<h2>Sub <outline><!--Empty! No outline would be created from
			this element--></outline></h2>
--
Leif Halvard Silli