Re: Why hgroup?

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 19:14:07 +0100
To: "Steve Faulkner" <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>
On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 19:04:11 +0100, Steve Faulkner
<faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:
> So sibling selectors are not good enough for CSS/JavaScript & shared
> classes for CSS ?

They are not as good, no. People constantly complain about the way <dl>
works, for instance. And having <hgroup class=x> is much better in my
opinion than <h2 class=x>foo</h2><blah class=x>bar</blah>.

> What CSS/JavaScript operations are made easier and what is the likely
> frequency of their use?

Having the elements together in a single box? So they can have a shared
border for instance? Easily finding all <hgroup> elements in a document
and getting their textual contents, etc.

> i.e. Is there a reasonable tradeoff between providing a clearer semantic
> and the suggested advantages of hgroup?

The semantics are just as clear. (Personally I find container-based
relationships much clearer. Much more intuitive to see items are related.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/