Re: Tech Discussions on the Multitrack Media (issue-152)

On Feb 24, 2011, at 8:57 , Bob Lund wrote:

> [Bob Lund] I agree with your observation that timed text, audio and video all layout a presentation along a timeline. In the context of HTML5, though, “Timed Text Tracks” expose “cues” with a start and end time, and data – either text or metadata. The proposed multi-track media APIs expose the presence of additional tracks along with the ability to denote whether the track is showing.. There is no “cue” and there is no access to the data in the track.

True, access to data in the track would be useful for any media type, not just text.  (Audio processing, for example, or extracting an image from video and painting it onto a Canvas).  So rather than treating text tracks as special, I'd prefer to see all tracks treated powerfully enough to meet the text and other needs.

David Singer