Re: combining relations from multiple link elements, (see also ISSUE-124)

On 21.02.2011 22:48, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
>> It seems like the issue here is:
>>
>> - Some <link> types (e.g. stylesheet, icon) can passively trigger
>> loads, which are combined when loading the same resource.
>> - <a> links only load something when explicitly activated by the user,
>> so there is no issue of combining loads.
>> - noreferrer alters loading behavior.
>>
>> As a result, noreferrer has clear behavior on <a>, but not necessarily
>> on <link>.
>
> Yes, that is precisely the problem I am describing.

The problem is that link relations can put conflicting semantics on a
link. This is not specific to link/@rel)nofollow. It could happen on
a/rel as well. I don't see how the instantiation semantics affect the
overall issue.

If this is really is a problem, we need a generic approach to this. I
believe we'll have to live with it, unless we're going to test any given
new link relation against *all* of those we've sanctioned before.

Note: HTML5 removed @rev; and the advice I've heard was to just mint
additional link relations that express the reverse link, such as
"authored-by" in addition to "author".

So it's pretty much guaranteed that we'll run into conflicts like these
anyway.

Best regards, Julian