Re: <video> readyState oddities

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011, Chris Pearce wrote:

> > 2. When you run out of buffered data when playing normally, should
> > readyState revert to HAVE_CURRENT_DATA or HAVE_METADATA? The answer
> > depends on what currentTime is at that point, it seems.
>
> Firefox won't drop below HAVE_CURRENT_DATA once it's passed it, the
> logic being that we're still able to display the frame which we're
> currently displaying. So we drop back to HAVE_CURRENT_DATA in this case.

The spec currently states that CURRENT_DATA is for when "Data for the
immediate current playback position is available", so per spec this would
be wrong.

I think it is relatively important to have the spec's behaviour; without
it, it's impossible for the author to know if you're displaying what he
wants you to display or if you're still trying to decode it.