Re: Tech Discussions on the Multitrack Media (issue-152)

On Feb 17, 2011, at 7:17 AM, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 18:47:22 +0100, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 16, 2011, at 12:02 AM, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:

>>> Sure, but all of those modes should be achieved by the author making it
>>> happen with CSS. At the risk of making a strawman argument, I honestly
>>> can't see browsers allowing the user to change the rendering of the page
>>> to achieve PiP or something like that when the author hasn't provided
>>> for
>>> it, messing with the layout like that seems both weird and unlikely to
>>> be
>>> useful. Of course we can have User JavaScript and User CSS to do that
>>> kind
>>> of thing, though.
>>
>> I was assuming that the "author" of the content - who labels the tracks
>> - might not be the same as the "author" of the webpage that is rendering
>> the content. So the first author should not assume that (say) multiple
>> views are alternatives, because some webpages might be able to view them
>> both as PIP.
>
> Since the tracks are labeled using the attribute of the <track> attribute,
> it will be the page author that has to do the work to support some
> specific video display, be that PiP, overlay or something else.

That would be the case for track objects created as a result of <track> elements, but what about in-band tracks ? The page author does the work for PIP etc., of course, but the media author should not assume that such capabilities are or are not available on the pages where their media might be used: they should just label the tracks and let the page to whatever it is capable of.

...Mark