Re: Tech Discussions on the Multitrack Media (issue-152)

Hi Philip,

Just a quick note that the "alternative" vs "additional" distinction is not always completely clear. Video with different camera angles (gimmiky or not) could be considered as an alternative, or could be rendered as picture-in-picture, or multiple thumbnail videos could show beside the main video (some sports sites already do this kind of thing).

If you have the output capabilities (e.g. wireless headphones plus regular speakers) then simultaneous output of different audio languages might make sense.

Not to say these are compelling use-cases, just that the markup should indicate what the media actually is such that the player can decide what to do, without any hard "alternative" vs "additional" distinction.

The one case where I see a clear distinction is with audio description tracks which may or may not include the original audio.

It might make sense to be able to label tracks as "additional", meaning they have no "stand-alone" value, but the absence of this label does not mean that the track cannot be played in combination with other tracks if this makes sense based on the nature of the track.

...Mark