Re: Running heuristic encoding detection

On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 11:36:14 +0100, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:
> Do the other browsers indeed not start parsing until the heuristic
> detector has committed to an encoding?

Per Leif's email that seems not true for Opera.

> Is there a timeout or a max number of bytes as a cutoff after the
> browser commits to an encoding even though the heuristic detector hasn't
> yet made its decision?
> Do other browsers default to heuristic detection enabled in any locale?
> (Since having different buffering behavior would likely lead to
> different perf characteristics, it would seem interesting to ship with
> different perf on a per-locale basis.)

We only enable it for certain locales based on some combination of domain
name, Content-Language, and encoding of the referring document. When
enabled it looks at the entire resource. I am not sure what our timeout
strategy is if any. This is an area we would like to improve at some
point. It would be nice if more were standardized or at least documented.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/