ISSUE-140 CPP — no conformance versions

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 14:19:13 +0100
To: "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>

Rationale: As previously resolved HTML is a language without versions.
Introducing versions for conformance goes against this idea and will give
the impression there is a difference between an "HTML5 conforming
document" and an "HTML6 conforming document". The suggestion in the Change
Proposal that applicable specifications could define their own terms will
lead to a myriad of definitions related to HTML conformance and will not
make the situation any clearer than simply using what is there today.

Details: No change.

Impact: By not introducing versions in HTML conformance we keep it clear
HTML does not use versions and we prevent the need to introduce lots of
definitions around HTML conformance.

Anne van Kesteren