Re: updated change proposal for issue 129 ARIA in HTML5

On 2 February 2011 13:08, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know how i can explain it better than i have already.
>
> when i look at a heading with a subheading, i don't see a single heading i
> see 2 distinct pieces of information that are related.
>
> here is a real example (from
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/):
>

> <hgroup>
> <h1>HTML</h1>
> <h2>Living Standard - Last Updated 2 February 2011</h2>
>  </hgroup>
>
> the h1 is the title of the document, the h2 is a subtitle.
>
> becomes this
> <h1>
> </h1>
>
> So when it gets reayed via an accessibility API there is no longer any
> distinction between the title and subtitle. there is no longer any semantic
> differentiation.

That's probably not a good example for your point, it's a good one for
mine though: the headline is "HTML Living Standard - Last Updated 2
February 2011" (but if you're just skimming, the important part is
HTML).

> yet another point is that placement does not infer what is the heading vs
> subheading in the hgroup, its rank, yet there is no way to infer that from
> as the h ranks are collapsed.
>
> <h1>
> </h1>
>
> is the same as
>
> <h1>
> </h1>

Er, no. Unless you are telling me that AT randomly jumbles order of paragraphs?

--
Stephen Stewart
carisenda@gmail.com