Re: updated change proposal for issue 129 ARIA in HTML5

On 2 February 2011 11:48, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
>>The default stylings of h2 and h3 also have no meaning out of context.
>
> so? what we are discussing is what is conveyed by the default visual styling
> of 2 headings of differing ranks put together.

You might be, but I'm not :)

<hgroup>
<h2>Clinton Acquitted</h2>
<h3>Perjury, obstruction charges defeated</h3>
</hgroup>

This is one "heading" (or headline) with a single rank, created using
two heading elements, via hgroup. (I can't really make any argument
for or against your examples because they aren't real.) The use of h2
over h3 is only to say "you can, if you wish, ignore what the h3 says,
I'm the main line", the visual styling that comes by default with an
h2 and h3 in this context (and which I'd emphasise with CSS) is to say
exactly the same thing to visual users "you can, if you wish, ignore
what the h3 says, I'm the main line".

I thought you were arguing that because accessibility agents don't yet
understand the hgroup and will read both heading elements when they
navigate with 'h' that this was the problem, it's not backwardly
compatible; but you then said that no content should ever be held
back. So I'm not sure I understand the problem at all.

Best,
Stephen

--
Stephen Stewart