Re: HTML Canvas 2D Context Extensions - for review

From: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 16:44:48 -0800
To: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
CC: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
On 12/18/11 4:28 PM, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:
> In the unlikely event we can even work out what the relevant
> information is, I think we'd be better off having user agents use that
> information to draw the focus ring. For example, user agents could
> draw a focus ring for high contrast that uses a white band with a
> black inner ring to ensure there is some contrast round the ring.
>
> Ian's text leaves user agents free to do the best job they can here, I think.

I've had a hard time with Ian's text. I have tried to grok it, and I'm
sure it'd make more sense when implemented.
Implementations kind of fill in some missing gaps, and sometimes they
lead to spec corrections.

When Richard submitted the revised drawFocusRing(element) from the
drawFocusRing(element, x,y,w,h, [possibly canDrawCustom]) syntax, it was
keeping in mind that CSS:focus and/or :outline exist. The Chairs decided
to maintain the canDrawCustom optional boolean. I've responded that a
string is more in line with other Canvas options.
drawFocusRing(element, 'hidden') is easy to remember. Easier than:
drawFocusRing(element, true);

So is: drawFocusRing(element) and simply using CSS pseudo-selectors.

I don't think there's a wide gulf here, but I am, embarrassingly, still
having difficulty seeing the ease of use in reading and understanding
the nuances of the drawSystem and drawCustom methods. But, if they're
out there, I'm sure I'll use them. They do both serve the drawFocusRing
purpose. I just find them a bit confusing.

-Charles