Re: Request to re-open issue 131

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 5:59 PM, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com> wrote:
> The HTML5 Editors draft uses scrollPathIntoView to accomplish the same thing as setCaretSelectionRect but with a broader goal and semantic. I've not been able to get its author to speak up on the issue...  They are both intended to fill in the caret tracking interfaces present at the OS level. These are used by zoom apps, but can also be used by heuristics in screen readers.
>
> The HTML5 editor did not use the caretBlinkRate semantic.

Yes, likely influenced by implementor feedback. For example, Jonas
Sicking has already indicated his opposition to Gecko implementing
this:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Apr/0747.html

> If there are any ideas on how to salvage consensus on this maxFlashRate concept, it'd be nice to hear them. This is different than requestAnimationFrame use cases. This max flash rate is intended for on-screen position and progress indicators to help authors stay on the path to WCAG.

Aryeh Gregor has suggested:

"It seems like a small enough loss
for canvas cursors to not respect user blink rate settings, but if
it's not, could you work out some API that lets authors honor them
without knowing them?  I.e., let the author say "I want this to blink
at the user's blink rate setting", without letting them know what it"

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Apr/0770.html

This is more complex to spec, but perhaps more likely to win acceptance.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis