Re: how HTML5 figure and figcaption should/could work

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 13:51:04 +0200
To: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Steve Faulkner, Wed, 24 Aug 2011 12:37:37 +0100:

http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/2011/08/html5-accessibility-chops-the-figure-and-figcaption-elements/

> I am asking for feedback from users and implementors.
>
> any feedback would be appreciated

+1 I defintely think that a new, default role for figure is needed.

As for caption role, which you also propose, would <caption> also get
the same role? And what about the problem that Rich takes up in that
regard - that figcaption -- and caption has the same issue - can take
flow content. [1] Perhaps the default role should not be used if it
contains flow content?

[1]
http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/2011/08/html5-accessibility-chops-the-figure-and-figcaption-elements/comment-page-1/#li-comment-14964
--