Re: RFC from implementers on Element.innerText

On 8/1/11 9:35 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On Aug 1, 2011, at 3:01 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> So far the only proposal I've seen for Selection.toString is "do what the copy operation does", which is neither well-defined nor acceptable for innerText.  In my opinion.
>
> If innerText fundamentally has to behave differently from Selection.toString

Oh, they could behave the same.

innerText just can't behave the way "copy" does and be specified at the
same time, again in my opinion.  And that's because I strongly feel that
browsers should be able to experiment with what "copy" does, especially
as new HTML features are added.  On the other hand, messing too much
with innerText as time passes is likely to cause web compat issues, I
would think.

-Boris