Re: RFC from implementers on Element.innerText

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 18:01:52 -0400
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
CC: Aryeh Gregor <ayg@aryeh.name>, "Edward O'Connor" <eoconnor@apple.com>, Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, public-html@w3.org
On 8/1/11 4:20 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> Personal opinion: if the options are to make innerText different from any other text conversion, vs make it identical to Selection.toString()

It's not clear whether the latter is in fact an option; that depends on
how Selection.toString gets specified and whether UAs are willing to do
the same for innerText as they do for Selection.toString....

So far the only proposal I've seen for Selection.toString is "do what
the copy operation does", which is neither well-defined nor acceptable
for innerText.  In my opinion.

-Boris