Clearer decisions?

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 22:17:39 +0100
To: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
We seem to be falling into a recurring pattern where people cannot agree
on what edit is to be made following a decision, e.g.:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Apr/0724.html

Given that (a) the Decision Policy requests exact spec text in change
proposals, (b) the decision process tends to be invoked where editors
and other WG members fundamentally disagree, and (c) it is very hard to
draft technical text expressing ideas that you think are unworkable,
would it be possible for future Chair Decisions to include a patch to be
applied to the spec where Decision differs from the exact text of any
submitted proposal, rather than offloading the task onto the people who
couldn't agree in the first place?

This would allow the Decision to be enacted at once, and further
improvements to follow our normal process, rather than let the WG
get bogged down in trying to work out what we've actually decided?

Just a thought.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis