RE: GPL and DFSG Compatibility of Proposed Document Licences

From: Carr, Wayne <wayne.carr@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 11:45:05 -0700
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, public-html <public-html@w3.org>
FSF's own "GNU Free Documentation License" is also not compatible with their GPL. [1]  It doesn't seem surprising that a license intended for documentation or specifications is incompatible with a license intended for software.

In commentary on FSF's GFDL they note "Of course, if these scripts are generally useful for other tasks, it is a good idea to release them separately under the GNU GPL." [2]  The options under consideration do something similar in licensing the types of things likely to be put into code in a different way (e.g. under the W3C Software License which is compatible with GPL).[3]

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Free_Documentation_License#GPL_incompatible_in_both_directions
[2] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl-howto.html
[3] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#SoftwareLicenses