Re: longdesc - beside the box

Further, in the current case of TellMeMore (the recent Opera extension) the visual indication is in the browser chrome, not the actual page.

The simple fact is that to make @longdesc discoverable we need for the user agents to do something. Since telepathy doesn't appear to be a viable option, we are left with few options: an audio indication, or a visual indication. Perhaps next-gen UAs might explore haptic feedback, but today, here and now, some form of visual notification seems the most likely.

Where and how browsers implement that would be a browser feature, a design choice left to each browser: an alternate cursor on focus is certainly one option, but not THE option.

JF