Re: longdesc - beside the box

From: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 08:17:41 -0700
To: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Cc: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
Further, in the current case of TellMeMore (the recent Opera extension) the visual indication is in the browser chrome, not the actual page.

The simple fact is that to make @longdesc discoverable we need for the user agents to do something. Since telepathy doesn't appear to be a viable option, we are left with few options: an audio indication, or a visual indication. Perhaps next-gen UAs might explore haptic feedback, but today, here and now, some form of visual notification seems the most likely.

Where and how browsers implement that would be a browser feature, a design choice left to each browser: an alternate cursor on focus is certainly one option, but not THE option.

JF