RE: Draft HTML5 licensing survey

From: Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 17:16:28 -0700
To: <public-html@w3.org>
The W3C Document License incorporates the Copyright FAQ by reference:
"However, if additional requirements (documented in the Copyright FAQ) are
satisfied, the right to create modifications or derivatives is sometimes
granted by the W3C to individuals complying with those requirements." See

The Copyright FAQ (http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/IPR-FAQ-20000620) then
says: "See our patent policy FAQ for information about translations and
patent commitments."

The Patent Policy FAQ: http://www.w3.org/2003/12/22-pp-faq.html.

Sort of circular, I admit, and it relies on multiple documents to say
similar things, but at least W3C is *trying* to establish a consistent IPR
policy relating to copyrights, patents and trademarks. Maybe now that W3C is
finally coming to terms with a complete HTML5 licensing policy, we can
gather all those references into one IPR document and one IPR FAQ?

In the meantime, as I said earlier, I'd be completely satisfied to have
W3C's express copyright and patent permission to create any derivative
software I want.