Re: False aria-describedby expectations in ARIA Authoring Practices (longdesc)

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 03:12:33 +0200
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>, Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org>, Joseph Scheuhammer <clown@alum.mit.edu>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, HTMLwg <public-html@w3.org>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, David Bolter <dbolter@mozilla.com>
Jonas Sicking, Fri, 22 Apr 2011 15:08:11 -0700:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Steve Faulkner wrote:

> >In fact, we could even display a context menu item
> for each link if there are multiple as aria-describedby allows
> pointing to multiple elements, many of which could be links.

Then some would use @aria-describedby for the purpose of the link,
while others would use it for the purpose of its text content = purpose
crash.

> I'm willing to do such work, but this working group also has to be
> willing to stop thinking outside the box of "what browsers/AT vendors
> do today".

It seems we would then need a free space in the ARIA syntax which AT,
without breaking or interfering current ARIA syntax, could treat as a
longdesc link.
--
leif halvard silli