Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 16:08:35 -0400
To: public-html@w3.org
On 04/21/2011 06:27 PM, Aryeh Gregor wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 5:51 PM, Leif Halvard Silli
> <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>  wrote:
>> So what and for whom would be better by omitting the @alt?
> That is not something I ever stated an opinion on.  I was providing
> factual evidence, not passing judgment on anything.  The alt text I
> cited is clearly "bogus" in the sense that it's added solely to evade
> validation errors, without any attempt to actually provide a useful
> text alternative to the image.  I make no claims beyond that.
> If you have questions about the evidence I provided, of a sort that
> would likely be germane should the issue be reopened, then it's
> possible this list is a correct place to ask.  Otherwise, I most
> likely will not respond further on this list, because (if I interpret
> the chairs correctly) such discussion is unwanted here at this point.

Since this conversation has continued, I will respond to Aryeh's final
point as to why this discussion is marginally OK.  Quotes from the decision:

> However, it's clear that there are tools which do not follow ATAG in
> this respect, and no evidence was provided that this would change.

> This argument is based on what tools *should* do, but in practice
> often don't. Since no evidence was provided that common practice is
> changing, this was taken to be a weak objection.

Should this discussion result in a change to MediaWiki, that result
could be included as a part of a package of new information.

That being said, I encourage anybody who wishes to pursue such to
strongly consider Aryeh's suggestion[1] and open a bug report:

I'll also note that MediaWiki is not the only such tool.  Citing what
other related tools do and providing first hand statements from the
developers of the same would be useful.

- Sam Ruby

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Apr/0502.html