Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-155 table-border

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 14:51:07 -0700
Cc: HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>

On Apr 15, 2011, at 11:30 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 8:01 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
>>  If this is a generic problem (that is, if tables in non-CSS UAs
>>  should basically always have borders), then tying border-drawing to
>>  an optional attribute which is *not* present on the vast majority of
>>  legacy tables is completely the wrong solution.
>>
>> Only two solutions were proposed.  We only consider proposals which
>> actually are put forward.  Furthermore, no substantiation is provided
>> for the assertion that this is "completely the wrong solution".
>
> Note, this was not an attempt to suggest another solution, it was an
> objection against the <table border> CP.

Be that as it may, it remains the case that no substantiation was provided.

If you have new information to provide, whether supporting arguments for the claim that this is "completely the wrong solution", or a new Change Proposal calling for visual non-CSS UAs to always draw borders on tables, then you may make a request to reopen the issue.

Barring new information to reopen the decision, the WG SHOULD move on.

Regards,
Maciej