Re: Mozilla Proposal for HTML5 Spec Licence

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 07:00:21 -0400
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com>, HTML Working Group <public-html@w3.org>, PSIG <member-psig@w3.org>
On 04/14/2011 05:51 AM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2011, Steve Faulkner wrote:
>>
>> But what we do have now is 2 specifications both claiming to be HTML5
>> that are not in agreement.
>
> The WHATWG spec is just HTML, not HTML5. There's a whole section (the
> first section) that goes to quite some length to explain this.

That section isn't as clear as it could be:

   http://tinyurl.com/3bpapzm

"Is this HTML5?  ... In short: Yes."

Additionally, it would be wonderful if the following site were updated
to reflect the position that the WHATWG spec doesn't describe HTML5:

   http://developers.whatwg.org/

A concrete example of a point where this creates confusion:

   http://developers.whatwg.org/links.html#ping

... which was dropped from HTML5 by amicable consensus:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Mar/0132.html

- Sam Ruby