Re: Systematic access to media/plugin metadata

From: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 15:42:50 +0200
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Cc: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com>, public-html@w3.org
On 13 April 2011 14:07, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 21:54 +1000, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

>> There are actually browser plugins that expose EXIF and similar image
>> metadata, see https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/search/?q=exif&cat=all&x=0&y=0
>> . I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the same thing for video
>> and audio.
>
> Those appear to be extension-based implementations of the first
> scenario--not of the second scenario.

True, but they do show that the browser can be given metadata-access
capability without too much trouble, and also highlight the major
problem at present - each individual browser needs custom extension to
get at the metadata (which will be local but *opaque* if the
image/media object has been retrieved for rendering).

fwiw, for Chrome here's an ID3 extractor:
https://github.com/apphacker/Dionysus/blob/master/js/dio/id3.js
and a Exif extractor:
http://code.google.com/p/exif-vewer-extension/source/browse/trunk/Chrome/exif.js

Cheers,