Re: Systematic access to media/plugin metadata

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 12:24:58 +0300
To: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Cc: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com>, public-html@w3.org
On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 10:56 +0200, Danny Ayers wrote:
> On 13 April 2011 09:11, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-04-12 at 10:50 +0200, Danny Ayers wrote:
> >> - looking for a hotel, a browser on a mobile device could use the geo
> >> coords stored in the Exif of a photo to direct the user to the actual
> >> location of the photo
> >> - looking at a set of conference photos, the browser could alert the
> >> user: "hey, that's your friend in the photo!"
> >
> > These use cases would require the browser to be able to extract the
> > location or person metadata and to have UI for directing the user to the
> > location of the photo or to alert the users about the people in the
> > photo.
>
> Right.
>
> > Neither use case (as stated) requires exposing this information to
> > author-supplied JavaScript programs through an API.
>
> How else might you do such things?

By the browser having built-in features that trigger on certain metadata
without any page author-provided JS being involved.

> Or are you suggesting I expand the
> descriptions to show how the Javascript might operate? (If that's the
> case I'll be happy to oblige once I've had some morning coffee...).

As far as I can tell, the use cases you included called for browser UI
features--not for an API.

Frankly, I get a feeling that the API idea is looking for a problem to
solve here.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi