Re: example spec text for longdesc

Hi Laura,

"From what I have gathered [1] [2] long descriptions are typically
redundant to the majority of users as they usually describe  what is
visually evident."

The use case for a description I encounter most often in web applications is
data presented in an image, I consider that having access to both image and
a structured HTML representation would be useful for a range of users
inlcuding users of screen magnifiers AT which traditonally do not process
HTML or provide access to content other than that provided by the browser.

I also think in cases such as the thematic images example:
http://dev.w3.org/html5/alt-techniques/#images-enhance
where a link is provided to further information about the image:
http://www.tate.org.uk/servlet/ViewWork?cgroupid=-1&workid=15984&searchid=false&roomid=false&tabview=text&texttype=10
would be useful to a range of users.

>Again it is akin to closed captions being redundant to most people who
>can hear

in this case a device independent  method to access closed captions is
usually provided even though it is not considered useful for users who do
not have a hearing impairment or those who cannot see the captions. I would
not encourage authors to not provide device independent access to closed
captions.

>Another analogy would be if we were to make alt visible by default or
>provided visible indicators of  alt by default. Making indicators
>visible by default would cause needless work for designers to hide
>them or frustration to sighted users if designers didn't hide them.

alt is a different case as its display is contingent, its also almost
ubiquitous, every image on every page should have an alt attribute, the vast
majority of images do not require a description.

>Many artists, designers, and marketers do not want
>their visual designs changed/ruined with visible link text or
>indicators. Being  free from a visual encumbrance is an asset.

a simple CSS decalaration (example only this does not work):

img[longdesc]::marker {display:none}

will hardly be a barrier  to any of the above.

regards
stevef

--
with regards