Re: example spec text for longdesc

On 4 April 2011 18:36, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:

> it is not intended that longdesc will 'hide accessibility' in fact it is the
> opposite as I have attempted to articulate in the example spec text [1].
> Of course browser vendors cannot be forced to expose longdesc in a device
> independent way, just as they cannot be forced to expose title attribute
> content in a device independent way, but authors can work around browser
> support issues.

> [1] http://www.html5accessibility.com/tests/img-longdesc.html

The example spec text includes "...a visible indication of longdesc
presence should be provided."

On 4 April 2011 19:50, John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu> wrote:

> THE ENTIRE REASON FOR THE CREATION OF @LONGDESC IN THE FIRST PLACE WAS
> THAT AUTHORS WANTED A MEANS TO ENSURE LONGER DESCRIPTIONS COULD BE
> PROVIDED *WITHOUT* HAVING A VISUAL INCUMBERANCE ON THEIR PAGE - LONGDESC
> WAS DEVELOPED TO ADDRESS DESIGNER NEEDS, BASED ON DESIGNER FEEDBACK!

The current CP also suggests being "natively free from a visual
encumbrance" is an essential requirement, and 6 of the 9 use cases
explicitly require the longdesc link to be invisible.

If being hidden is not an essential feature, updating the CP
accordingly would be helpful.

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/InstateLongdesc#Rationale

~Matt