Re: example spec text for longdesc

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 10:34 AM, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:
>> Do you think that it would be a good idea for the spec to have
>> language for conformance checking tools to do such checks if longdesc
>> is reinstated into HTML?
>
> I think making machine-checkable conformance a property of the HTML file
> (and the protocol headers it was supplied with) makes the concept more
> tractable than making machine-checkable conformance depend on the
> external resources the HTML file refers to. That's why if longdesc were
> reinstated, I wouldn't want to make its machine-checkable conformance
> depend on external resources. However, if we find a that other features
> have extremely compelling reasons to have their machine-checkable
> conformance depend on external resources, then we might as well make the
> machine-checkable conformance of longdesc depend on external resources,
> too.

Document validation is perhaps the wrong layer to check what are
actually relationships between documents.

I'd suggest links of all sorts - a@href, img@src, blockquote@cite,
img@longdesc, etc. - are best checked with a link checker:

http://validator.w3.org/checklink

It would additionally be good if link checking was incorporated into
total validation tools such as:

http://validator.w3.org/unicorn/

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis